CBD Baking: How to Bake With CBD
27 Jul 2020-
There are many ways you can incorporate CBD into your lifestyle, but have you considered a different option such as baking with CBD? There are many ways to use CBD in baking. Popular CBD recipes are readily available online for CBD infused brownies, gummies, cookies, and even fudge. The possibilities for CBD baking are truly endless!
CBD baking is great for a variety of reasons. Keep on reading to discover what the many benefits of baking with CBD are, how to bake with CBD, and more CBD baking tips.
THE BENEFITS OF BAKING WITH CBD
The best part of CBD baking for many is that you have the ability to control CBD dosages and ingredient amounts and quality. Unfortunately, many pre-made CBD-infused goods include not-so-healthy ingredients like high fructose corn syrup, artificial food dyes, or a load of unnecessary added sugar.
Additional benefits of baking with CBD include:
- Long-lasting CBD effects: Although the effects of CBD take longer to feel when consumed via edibles, the effects of CBD are known to last much longer. When CBD is consumed as an edible, CBD is released slowly into the system after its digested. The effects of a CBD edible can last 2 to 4 hours longer than other types of CBD products.
- CBD is non-psychoactive: When CBD is eaten in an edible form, it can offer several benefits without the “high” or intoxicating feeling often associated with cannabis edibles, meaning it can be eaten by anyone without the risk of uncomfortable psychoactive effects.
So, if you’re looking to enjoy a CBD treat sometime soon, you’re better off making it yourself! Here’s everything you need to know about how to bake with CBD.
HOW TO BAKE WITH CBD
In order to use CBD in baking, the CBD oil must be infused with some type of fatty base ingredients such as oil, ghee, or butter. Although, you could make your own CBD butter or oil using a CBD flower, using a CBD oil or concentrate that is already made might be easier. Using a CBD oil in baking allows you to precisely measure the amount of CBD you’re putting into the recipe, as well as knowing the exact amount of CBD you’re getting per serving.
Another easier way to incorporate CBD into your baking is by using a CBD isolate. A CBD isolate product can help you get a precise measurement and will combine well into the butter or oil in your baking recipe.
A different option is using CBD crystals in your CBD baking. This type of product dissolves easily into cooking oils and butter. First, you heat your desired fatty base on low heat, add the desired amount of CBD crystals, and stir gently. The CBD crystals will dissolve into your oil or butter and can then be used in any baking recipe.
EXPLORING CBD FLAVOR PROFILES
Depending on your taste palette, you may find you don’t enjoy the natural taste of CBD. What does CBD taste like? You can read about that here. Many describe the taste of CBD as having an “earthy,” “grassy,” or “peaty” taste with a hint of “nuttiness.” This description may turn some off from using CBD, although most people don’t mind the flavor.
Luckily, there are many brands that offer flavored CBD products that you can incorporate into your CBD baking that mask the natural flavor of CBD. Here are some recommended and trusted brands to buy your flavored CBD product from:
Bespoke Extracts offers tinctures in a number of flavors like mint, berry, and citrus which are perfect for adding to dessert dishes or juice. Bespoke is known for its pure, vegan, cGMP-certified CBD grown and manufactured in the USA.
PureKana is known for its affordable health and wellness products made from CBD-rich hemp. Every one of the company’s products are made from non-GMO, organic, USA-grown hemp. They offer four flavors of oil: vanilla, mint, citrus, and Fruity Pebbz.
Joy Organics is a CBD company that works with growers, manufacturers, and distributors of the hemp-derived phytocannabinoids in the United States. There are four flavors to choose from — natural, orange, lemon, and tranquil mint.
CBDfx’s products are 100% vegan, non-GMO, cGMP-certified,and are made with full-spectrum CBD and organic MCT oil. They offer their original CBD Tincture Oil in flavors like lychee lemon kiwi, lemon lime mint, and blueberry pineapple lemon.
By choosing any of the listed flavors above, you’ll give your desserts a little extra flavor kick, and tamper down the “earthy” taste some do not like.
CBD BAKING: IMPORTANT THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND
Although it may appear that baking with CBD is an extremely simple and straightforward process, there are some parts of it that aren’t. Here are some of the things you need to know about baking with CBD:
- Temperature: While warming up CBD oil could increase the effectiveness of CBD, high temperatures could in fact destroy the many active compounds of it. Baking CBD at temperatures between 320 and 356 degrees Fahrenheit will probably be ok, but above this could cause the CBD in your recipe to evaporate, meaning you will not receive the full benefits of it.
- Never drop your oil into a saute pan on high heat. It will instantly evaporate your product. If you boil your CBD it will also lose it’s potency.
- Serving size: Baking with CBD allows you to control both the serving size and dosage. For example, if you bake a batch of 24 cookies with 100 mg of CBD, each cookie will contain 4 mg of CBD. However, if you wanted a stronger serving size, you would need to use 600 mg of CBD oil in your recipe to get 25 mg of CBD per cookie. Simply, if you want your CBD desserts to help you achieve the desired effects, you will need to make sure your recipe contains enough CBD to fit the wanted milligram content for each serving size.
- Storage: Storing CBD baked goods properly is especially important if you want to keep them fresh and as well as ensure that their potency doesn’t diminish. Unfortunately, CBD is extremely sensitive to light and heat, so it is paramount that you store any CBD product or CBD-infused foods in a cool, dark place. Additionally, you should store your CBD dessert or desserts in an airtight container to help them stay fresh.
CBD DESSERT RECIPE:
Ready to start baking with CBD? Here is a simple CBD dessert recipe for CBD cookies. They’re easy to make and yield ~30 cookies. The dosage of CBD per cookie will depend on the milligrams of CBD your CBD oil contains.
CBD CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES RECIPE
Ingredients you’ll need:
- ½ cup of butter, softened
- ¾ cup of sugar
- ¾ cup of brown sugar, packed
- 1-2 teaspoons of vanilla extract (substitute out if you’re CBD product is vanilla flavored)
- 2 ¼ cups of flour
- ¾ teaspoons of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of chocolate chips
- 1 cup of your favorite nuts (e.g., peanuts, almonds, etc.)
HOW TO MAKE CBD COOKIES:
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine softened butter and sugars until soft and fluffy for roughly 2–3 minutes. Add eggs to the mixture and mix well. Add vanilla extract and CBD oil until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Add flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix well until smooth. Avoid overmixing. Scoop tablespoon-size balls of cookie dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet and approximately 2 inches apart. Bake in preheated oven for ~20-24 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Transfer hot cookies with a spatula to a wire rack to cool.
CBD cookies can remain stored in a tightly sealed container for up to 5 days. Freeze any leftover cookies if you don’t plan on consuming them in the next five days.
Now that you’re aware that you can incorporate CBD into just about any recipe, it’s always a good idea to start with something easy, like brownies or cookies. Remember the tips above when you’re baking with CBD and once done, simply enjoy your tasty, delicious CBD dessert!
Explore productsSee All Products
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.